tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 29 07:20:13 1997

RE: KLBC: lIy Hale-Bopp

jatlh SuStel:

>> `A verb expressing state or quality can be used immediately following
>> a noun to modify that noun' (_tKD_:49).  Is there any reason to think
>> that {wew} `glow' doesn't express a state?
>
>Yes.  Because it expresses an action.  Something glows when it emits photons
>which reach the eye.
>
>Also, I cannot think of any verbs in Klingon which could work adjectivally,
>unless their TKD entry is preceded by "be."  Elsewhere, someone suggests
>{Qong} is also a state.  I say there is a great deal of difference between
>"sleep" and "be asleep," and the difference is shown exactly here.  Do you
>think {Qong} is stative?  How about {pum} "fall"?  Can it mean "be
falling"?
>How about {Hegh}?  {HoH}?  {jach}?

If being translated with "be" is the only requirement, couldn't we just add
<taH> to all these? <pumtaH 'oH> means "It is falling," so <pumtaH> could
be translated as "be falling." Perhaps one reason he put the "be" there is
to indicate intransitivity.

-HurghwI'

Back to archive top level