tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 27 16:52:48 1997

RE: KLBC: lIy Hale-Bopp

jatlh 'Iwvan:

> David Trimboli wrote:
> > As I have pointed out, {wew} means "glow," not "be glowing,"
>
> What is the difference?

One is in TKD.  The other is not.

> > so it cannot be used adjectivally.
>
> `A verb expressing state or quality can be used immediately following
> a noun to modify that noun' (_tKD_:49).  Is there any reason to think
> that {wew} `glow' doesn't express a state?

Yes.  Because it expresses an action.  Something glows when it emits photons
which reach the eye.

Also, I cannot think of any verbs in Klingon which could work adjectivally,
unless their TKD entry is preceded by "be."  Elsewhere, someone suggests
{Qong} is also a state.  I say there is a great deal of difference between
"sleep" and "be asleep," and the difference is shown exactly here.  Do you
think {Qong} is stative?  How about {pum} "fall"?  Can it mean "be falling"?
How about {Hegh}?  {HoH}?  {jach}?

Why would Okrand forget just this one?

--
SuStel