tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 25 20:41:49 1997

RE: KLBC: Old Notes & what they were about(I think)

Hmmm . . . my mailing program doesn't seem to want to quote your message
properly.

On Tuesday, March 25, 1997 12:32 AM, [email protected] on behalf of
Riktrman wrote:

> Quch Habbogh tu'laHchu' law 'ej SoH bItu'laHchu' law
> -this, I believe, was an attempt at saying �You stick out like a smooth
forehead.� The thinking behind it being that if the speaker first stated that
smooth foreheads are quite noticable and then said that the person he was
speaking to was quite noticable that somehow the meaning would be made
apparent. Apparently not.

Okay.  As I said before, you cannot use {law'} after a verb to mean "a lot" or
"more."  It doesn't do that.  Let's find some other words that might make the
meaning clear.

We could start with the simple

Quch Hab Darur.
You resemble a smooth forehead.

This is not really very good, since a person rarely looks like any kind of
forehead.

So what's wrong with a smooth forehead.  You've got to decide that.  Is it
"weird"?  {taQ}.  Is it ugly"?  {moH}  Perhaps it's just "unusual."
{motlhbe'}.  Based on what you say above, I will work with this last one,
though this could work for any of them.  Let's start with:

motlhbe'mo' Quch Hab, tu'lu'.
Because a smooth forehead is unusual, it is noticed.

Then you could add this as context to what I have above:

motlhbe'mo' Quch Hab, tu'lu'.  Quch Hab Darur.
Because a smooth forehead is unusual, it is noticed.  You resemble a smooth
forehead.

This might be a bit convoluted for a simple statement like this.  You could
always fall back on

SoH, Quch Hab je lutu'lu'.
Both you and a smooth forehead are noticed.

> wa' jaghDuj puSlu'ta'bogh lo'laH law' cha' jaghDuj So'law'ta'bogh lo'laH puS
> -this, as was deduced previously, is a comparison of the value of one ship
in one�s sights over two that may be cloaked somewhere(a bird in the hand
yadda-yadda-yadda). And again it would appear that the message was unclear.

Oh yeah!  {puS} means "sight (v)," doesn't it?

Okay, this sentence seems to make sense.  It also seems very familiar somehow
. . .

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian