tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 25 20:40:03 1997

RE: KLBC: lIy Hale-Bopp

On Tuesday, March 25, 1997 10:43 AM, [email protected] on behalf of
[email protected] wrote:

> wa'Hu' ram, lIyHey vIlegh.  Hov rur 'ach ngup wew tuQ 'oH. 'IHqubej.
> Last night, I saw what looked like the comet.  It resembled a
> star, but it wore a glowing cloak. It was certainly very beautiful.

Oh, that was almost a perfect sentence!  I'll get the the main problem below.

You forgot a glottal stop in {'IHqu'bej}, of course.  But that was an
absolutely PERFECT use of {-Hey} on {lIyHey}.

You might have wanted to say {tuQtaH}.  It's not necessary, but the comet was
not wearing it as a single action.  It still is "wearing" it.

> TDK 4.4 says I can use a verb as an adjective if it comes immediately after
> the noun it qualifies.  Can I then use the noun as an object as I did with
> ngup wew?

You can only do this if the verb is one that expresses a state or quality (is
stative).  Unfortunately, {wew} is "glow," not "be glowing."  You can either
substitute {boch} "be shiny" here (which loses some of the flavor, I think),
or you could say

wewtaHbogh ngup tuQtaH
It was wearing a glowing cape.

{wewtaHbogh ngup} is "cape which glows."

To answer your question: yes, if you use adjectivally acting verbs, they can
fit in anywhere.

veng tIn vIlegh.
I see the big city.

--