tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 24 18:43:09 1997

RE: KLBC-First Time

On Monday, March 24, 1997 2:50 AM, [email protected] on behalf of Mike
Andrew wrote:

> Alright, I think I'm ready to try this now.  I just made up small sentences
at random, let me know how I did.  :)

lu'.

> Mike pongwIj
> My name is Mike.

To say <something> is <something else>, you need to use a "to be"
construction, as described in TKD section 6.3.  Also, when using non-Klingon
names or words, mark them with something: quotes, asterisks, whatever.  That
way we recognize it as a non-Klingon word.

*Mike* 'oH pongwIj'e'.

There's another, more complicated way to say this.  I'll just show you:

jIHvaD *Mike* ponglu'
I am called "Mike."

Most literally, this would be translated as "Mike is named, and that naming is
applied to me."

> [yourname] ponglIj
> Your name is [yourname]

Same thing.

[yourname] 'oH ponglIj'e'.

> cha'maH loS ghepwIj
> My age is 24.

Hmmm . . . I don't know the word {ghep}.  I can't find it anywhere.

Marc Okrand has shown us a good way to say this:

cha'maH loS ben jIbogh
I was born 24 years ago.

> Hung'avwI' vIvu'
> I manage security guards.

maj.  Though remember to be sparing in creating compound nouns.  This one is
pretty clear, I think.

> tlhIngan Hol Dajatlhbe'
> You do not speak the Klingon language.

maj.

> tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh 'e' vIghojtaH
> I am learning to speak the Klingon language.

Oohh, not quite.  You got snagged on a tricky little rule in TKD 6.2.5.  It
tells us that the second verb of a sentence-as-object formation cannot take a
Type 7 (aspect) suffix.  You have to put it on the first verb instead.

tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhtaH 'e' vIghoj.

The rule is rather arbitrary, so just get used to it.

> tlhIngan Hol vIghojtaH
> I am learning the Klingon language.

maj.

> tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhchu' vIneH
> I want to speak the Klingon language clearly.

majQa'!

> tlhIngan Hol Daghoj DaneH'a'
> Do you want to learn the Klingon language?

majQa'!

> tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh 'e' Daghoj DaneH'a'
> Do you want to learn to speak the Klingon language?

bIjatlhchu'qu'!!!!!!  majQa'!!!!!

> batlh Daghajchu'
> You clearly possess honor.

maj.

> not Hubbeq vIbup!
> I will never quit the Defense Force!

This is good, although I wonder if {bup} means "quit, give up" or "quit
(something)."  If the first, you haven't gotten it quite right.  Until we know
more, however, this looks good.

> nom Hoch vIghoj
> I learn everything quickly.

maj.

> qeSlIj vItlho'lI' jIH
> I would appreciate your advice.

"I am thanking your advice"?

Don't be so human when speaking Klingon!  A Klingon wouldn't say a wishy-washy
thing like "I would appreciate your advice"!  He'd say, "Advise me now!"

DaH HIqeS!

> tlhIngan Hol ghojwI'
> Student of the Klingon Language.
>
> mIq (Kli tranlation of my name?)
> Mike

That sounds more like the name "Mick."  A closer phonetic approximation of
your name (which actually isn't possibly according to standard observed
Klingon phonetics) is {mayq}.  Careful, though!  There's at least one other
list member who calls himself {mayq}!  Why not take the time to invent a good
Klingon name?

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian