tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 24 18:28:46 1997

RE: KLBC?: Suggestion/Question

On Monday, March 24, 1997 10:53 AM, [email protected] on behalf of Raj
Gabrielse wrote:

> This may not be to practicle a question, but would it be possible for
> you more experienced members of this list, to add some english
> translation to the messages you write?

I, for one (and there are others), will not.  From our end, we are holding a
conversation in Klingon, and to have to translate all our thoughts into a
second language would not only take a lot of time, but would also cause us to
lose a lot of the meaning.  We're here to speak Klingon, not translate.

For beginners, the only real way to learn Klingon (I think) is to work hard at
it.  If the translation is just below, then if you get stuck, you will be
tempted (no matter how much will you have) to occasionally look below at the
answer rather than work it out yourself.  And working it out is exactly how
you learn it.  I learned Klingon by printing out the text of one of
charghwI''s letters (charghwI' had been on a describe rock-climbing in Klingon
kick at the time) and taking it and my dictionary everywhere, and deciphering
it in my free time.  It was hard work but I eventually got it!  I printed out
others' responses to his letters, and read them, making sure I understood the
continuity in the conversation.

Also, I kicked around on the MUSH a lot, though not as much as I should have.
The MUSH is a GREAT help, and I wish more people would utilize it.  Recently
I've been showing up more often, but I rarely encounter anyone.  But the MUSH
is great!  Real-time conversations, someone to help you, and the ability to
edit what you're about to say when you realize you're about to make a mistake!
 It's great!

> I have a very hard time getting into this language, most of the times
> I can't make heads or tails from most messages and a dictionary is very
> difficult to find in the Netherlands. I've seen several mentions
> about a dictionary, but I'm not yet fanatic enough to pay twice the
> listprice AAR of added S&H and import taxes from the US...

I don't know about this sort of thing, but The Klingon Dictionary is
*essential* to study Klingon.  I recommend you get one pronto.

I was not aware that buying this book in the US from outside was so expensive.
 Is this true?  These are things that apply if you go to the KLI's merchant
page?

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian