tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 24 12:15:06 1997

KLBC&KBTP, Biblical translation

Dear David,

I know that Biblical translation is not your forte, I thought that you might
be able to get someone from the KBTP to help me.

I'm trying to translate the Order of the Mass.
<Order of the Mass> vImughlI'. 'e' vInID.

I'm borrowing heavily from..., I'm sorry.
-vo vIngIpqu'taH.  jIQoS. (I know probably too idiomatic to translate
directly.)

I'm researching Mark's Gospel translated by Nick Nicholas.
De' QaQ'e' ghItlhbogh <marqoS> mughta' <nIq nIchyon nIqolaS>. 'e'  vIQultaH.

However there are words I need that neither Mark nor Nicholas use.
mu'mey le' vIlo'vIS 'ach mu'meyvam lo'be' <marqoS> <nIq nIchyon nIqolaS> je.

I've attempted but they're pretty shabby.
mu'meyvam vImugh.  'e' vInID, 'ach ta'meywIg QaQbe'

My words
mu'meywIj
<grace>, bIjbe'taHghach (the state of constant forgiving(yuck!))
<Blessed be God>, joH'a' naDlu'pu'
<to almighty God>, joH'a' HoSghajqu'vaD
<Priest>, che'wI' (presider)
<Deacon>, QaDwI' (helper or maybe che'wI'Hom; lesser presider)
<to everlasting life>, yIv taHDaq
<saints>, ghotpu' ghob (people of virtue)

Nick Nicholas' words, are they still valid?
lo'taH'a' <nIq nIchyon nIqolaS> mu'mey?
<God, The Lord>, joH'a'
<bless blessing>, naD
<sin> (noun and verb), yem
<angel>, joH'a' QumyaS

also Nicholas transliterates names; <'IHrIStoS>, <yeSuS>, <yeruSalem>, etc.
je tlhIngan QIchmeyvo  pongmey ghItlh <nIq nIchyon nIqolaS>

Is this O.K.?
chaw'lu' 'a'

Thanks very much
qatlho'qu'