tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 22 08:17:39 1997

RE: KLBC Dax & nuq Hech jIH

ghItlh SuStel
>Remember, {nuqneH} is NOT "hello."  It means, "What do you want?"  It's called
the only Klingon greeting, or one of the very few Klingon greetings.  Some on
the list believe that it can be used in exactly the same way as we use
"hello": purely as a conversation starter.  Others believe that it is meant
literally: you say {nuqneH} when someone shows up and you want to find out
what he wants.

But it doesn't *mean* hello.<

I don't know who wrote the remarks in the back of "Hamlet, QonoS ta' puqloD" and
the introduction (tlhaQqu'!), but he really simplified things for me in the
remarks when he said that "nuqneH" is very close to "What's up?"  That's how I
usually use it as. (ghaH 'Iv 'e' Sov'a' vay?  HIja'neS.)  --qoror

Back to archive top level