tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 21 19:50:03 1997

RE: KLBC: ghomvaD wa'DIch jabbI'IDwIj

On Friday, March 21, 1997 5:05 AM, [email protected] on behalf of Irmgard
Pohrer wrote:

> ghItlh maqlIy:
>
> > jIHvaD paqqachlIj yIDel.
> > Describe your library to me (please).

By the way, another possibility for "library" is {paqghom}.  After all, a
dictionary is {mu'thom}.

> lu'! jIbel.
> I will! With pleasure.
> (sorry, it took some time, but I only get to email at work...)
>
> DuSaQ'a' paqqach 'oH paqqachwIj'e'.
> My library is a university library.
>
> DuSaQ'a'vamDaq jonwI'pu' ghunwI'pu' je qeqtaH ghojmoHwI'pu'.
> In this university the teachers train engineers and programmers.

Actually, you said, "Teachers continuously practice engineers and programmers
at this university."

To say "train," which essentially means "teach," use the verb {ghoj} "learn"
with the suffix {-moH} "cause" added to it.  {ghojmoH} "cause to learn."

DuSaQ'a'vamDaq jonwI'pu' ghunwI'pu' je ghojmoH ghojmoHwI'pu'.

It sounds redundant because it is redundant.  Of course that's what teachers
do!  They teach!

> wa'maH cha' paqqaHHommey tu'lu' 'ej.
> There are also twelve departmental libraries.

A very clever idea to use {-Hom}, but I'm not sure it's sufficient.  The idea
of a departmental library seems to me to mean a library for each department of
the university.

DuSaQ'a'vamDaq wa'maH cha' 'ay'mey tu'lu'.  wa' paqqachHom ghaj Hoch 'ay'.

A little context always helps.  This sentence assumes, of course, that each
department has its own library.  If not, then just tell us how many of them
do.

> tugh paqqaHHom chu' wIpoS.
> Soon we'll open a new departmental library.

"Open" is used in English to mean "start an institution's processes," or
something like that.  There is no reason to believe that Klingon {poS} acts in
the same way.

tugh paqqachHom chu' wIchenmoH.
We will soon open a new departmental library.  (Cause one to take form.)

> wa''uy' paqmey ngaS paqqachwIj 'ej Dal bIH boch.
> My library contains one million books and they are all boring.
> (I have no idea where the boch is supposed to be here...
> Also I would have liked to say "approximately 1 mio.", but since
> Klingons are never approximate...)

Unfortunately, there is no known way to simply translate "approximately."
Some might suggest adding {-law'} to the verb {ngaS}, but I find this
unsatisfactory.

Why are you using {boch} "be shiny" at all?  Do you mean {Hoch}?

Dal Hoch.
All of them are boring.

{Hoch} means "all, everything."  Use it as the subject of {Dal}.  You cannot
add both the subject {Hoch} and the subject {bIH}; you must choose one or the
other.

> DuSaQ'a' pImDaq vum jupwI'. pa' Daj paqmey.
> My friend works in a different (another?) university. There the books
> are interesting.

I suppose that your friend didn't just work there once.  Better to say
{DuSaQ'a' pImDaq vumtaH jupwI'}.

> paqmey DIngojDI' vaj De' wIlo'.
> When we lend the books we use a computer.

"Lend" is {noj}, not {ngoj}.  Also, "computer" is {De'wI'}.

When you use the subordinate clause with {-DI'}, you *probably* shouldn't use
{vaj} with it.  You can with {-chugh}, but we've never seen it with {-DI'}.
Besides, you don't need it at all.

paqmey DInojDI', De'wI' wIlo'.

> De'vaD jIngoy'. Qu'vam vIparHa'.
> I'm responsible for the computer. I like this task.
>
> Holmey DaHad 'e' *in general* DaparHa''a' pagh tlhIngan Hol
> DaHaDtaH'a' neH?
> Do you like to study languages in general or are you just studying
> Klingon?

Okay, first, for "in general."  This means a non-specific base.  Well, use
{Hoch} to say, {Hoch Holmey DaHaD} "you study all languages."  Sounds pretty
general to me.

Oh, if we *did* have an adverbial for "in general," it would come *before* the
{'e'}, not after.  For example,

jISop DaH 'e' vIHech.
Now I intend to eat.
I eat.  Now I intend that.