tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 21 19:50:01 1997

RE: {-vIp} (Re: some tidbits qororvo')

jatlh 'Iwvan:

> You're right that in {HaghvIp} the fear
> may be seen as the reason for the non-occurrence of the action.
> What about {HeghvIp} then?  Does that also mean that he is afraid
> to die and therefore refrains from dying?  If so, what would you say
> if he has no control over his death, but is scared of the thought
> of that inevitable event?

Actually, I think {HeghvIp} is a bad example when referring to Klingons.  For
them, dying is something to look forward to, and to actually attempt to
achieve, if it's done with honor.  So, yes, {HeghvIp} might suggest that the
subject is afraid to die and therefore refrains from dying!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level