tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 20 16:44:47 1997

Re: KLBC "let's"

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Mark Mandel wrote:

|jatlh Edy:
|> How can I say: Let's do something? as Let's drink
|
|Depending on the situation, you might either command the person, or you
|can tell them you WILL do something.
|   	[...]
|We are forgetting the chuv (TKD p.57)
|        Ha'     Let's go! Come on!
|"Let's drink!" could be expressed as <matlhutlh! Ha'!>, except
|that that could be interpreted as <matlhutlhHa'!> [1]. So I prefer
|to put the exclamation first:
|        Ha'! matlhutlh!
|And I think we may have this in canon somewhere, but I ain't
|certain.

At the end of Power Klingon, after the now Klingon-savvy Terran has
impressed the merchant, the latter suggests:  Ha'! DaH matlhutlh!
("Let us go get a drink").  Other examples from canon are:

  lu', Ha'!		Okay, let's go! (CK)
  Ha'!			Come along then. (RT book)
  tach vI'el, HItlhej.	Let's go to the pub. (RT book)

As in many Klingon expressions, context and intonation (not to mention
enthusiasm) make all the difference.

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level