tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 20 17:19:41 1997

Re: SuD'a' tlhIngan 'Iw (was: jIreghta')

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, DaQtIq wrote:

|ghuy'cha'! nIteb may'vamDaq jISuvtaH. Qoch ghunchu'wI', Seqram, SuSvaj je.
|'a wej jIjeghqang.

|jIHvaD jang SuSvaj:
|>'e' vIta'be'bej.  'ach Doq tlhIngan 'Iw 'e' vIHartaH.
|
|vItoblaHbe' 'e' vIchID 'ach SuDba' tlhIngan 'Iw jay'!
|
|Voragh! HIQaH! Doq nuq? SuD nuq?

An appeal to canon helps neither camp.
   Doq	   		"be orange, be red" (TKD p. 85)
   SuD     		"be green, be blue, be yellow" (TKD p. 108)
Oddly enough, the *sole* use of both of these occurs in that classic joke
from Power Klingon:
   Doq'a' SuvwI'pu'?	Are warriors red?
   ghobe', SuD!		No, they are green!
Of course, since it's a joke, it dosn't prove anything since we don't
know why Klingons think it's funny. But Worf didn't understand Terran
humor either.

Doqbej 'oH tlhIngan 'Iw 'e' vIHar jIH je. In fact, I wouldn't be at all
surprised if, when you asked a Klingon to show you "Doq", he didn't pull
out his Daqtagh, slit his palm and hold it up to you. Now, what color blood
would ooze out of the cut is a different question.

Perhaps it looks purplish-pink under normal Klingon lighting (as in ST5
aboard Kronos One) and reddish under normal Human or Bajoran lighting (as
aboard DS9).  Yeah... that's the ticket!

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level