tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 20 07:33:36 1997

Re: KLBC "let's"

ghItlh SuStel:

jatlh Edy:

> How can I say:
>
> Let's do something ?
> as Let's drink

Depending on the situation, you might either command the person, or you
can tell them you WILL do something.

For example, in Power Klingon, we hear {DaH matlhutlh} "We drink now"
for "Let's get a drink."  Usually in situations like this, it's pretty obvious
that you're not saying "We are drinking now," since you're not holding a
cup in your hand yet.

        [chovnatlhmey chel SuStel:]

    DaH juHDaq majaH.
    DaH verenganpu' DIHoH.
    HItlhej.

<<<<<

We are forgetting the chuv (TKD p.57)
        Ha'     Let's go! Come on!

"Let's drink!" could be expressed as <matlhutlh! Ha'!>, except
that that could be interpreted as <matlhutlhHa'!> [1]. So I prefer
to put the exclamation first:
        Ha'! matlhutlh!
And I think we may have this in canon somewhere, but I ain't
certain.

[1] The first time I met Captain Krankor was at a 24-hour SF film
marathon at the Coolidge Corner Theatre in Brookline, Mass. I had
never heard of him, but he was obviously a Klingon, and spoke only
Klingon. I soon exhausted my meager conversational abilities and,
seeking for an excuse to end the conversation, said
<jItlhutlhHa'nIS> and headed off. I can still hear him muttering
behind me:
  <tlhutlh*Ha'*>? <tlhutlh**Ha'**>? ... [Hagh Hagh Hagh Hagh Hagh!]

     marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
Subcmdr. Markemm, Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!
**              Mark A. Mandel : [email protected]             **
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/
          Personal home page: http://world.std.com/~mam/

Back to archive top level