tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 16 11:04:13 1997

RE: KLBC: nuqjatlh

jatlh HurghwI':

> >> 'e' DaSov. 'ej, "paradox" 'oH wa'
> >> mu'tlhegh neH'e'. *vItna' 'oHlaHbe' mu'tlheghvetlh'e' 'e' vIta' neH
> >
> >"I merely accomplish that that sentence cannot be definite truth"?  What do

> >you mean?
>
> I meant <ja'>, "I was merely reporting that that sentence isn't inherently
> true."
> I meant to add a footnote about the meaning of <vItna'>, but I forgot.

I don't think a footnote for {vItna'} is necessary.  However, remember that
you cannot use {'e'} with verbs of saying like {ja'}.  Your sentence should
have been

vItna' 'oHlaHbe' mu'tlheghvetlh'e' jIja'

or

jIja' vItna' 'oHlaHbe' mu'tlheghvetlh'e'.

Also, I'm curious as to why everyone seems to have forgotten that {vIt} also
means "tell the truth."  I've seen several people forget this recently.

jIja' vItlaHbe' mu'tlheghvetlh.

> >> [because it needs to refer to something which affirms it, in this case
> >> itself]. 'ej paq Dajqu' DalaD DaneHchugh, "G�del, Escher, Bach" Danej.
> >> "paradox"mey DatIvchugh, paqvetlh DaparHa'qu'.
> >
> >bIvangchugh 'uQ DaSop.  bIQubchugh 'uQ Damojqu'!
>
> bItlhaQ, 'ach bIvangchugh bIQubbe'taHvIS, 'uQ DaHutlhtaH. 'ej, Suvlu'taHvIS
> yapbe' HoS neH 'e' yIqaw.

jISagh.  jItlhaQ 'e' vInIDbe'.

bIlugh.  yapbe' HoS neH net Sov.  'ach bIvangchugh "paradox"-mey'e'
DaqeltaHvIS, Qu' DabuSbe'taH 'ej bIQaghbej.

Summary for KLBC: True, brute strength is not enough, but thinking about
paradoxes is hardly useful for the task at hand.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level