tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 13 17:59:45 1997

RE: originality of "jatlhchuqghach"

jatlh qoror:

> 	qoror here.  I have a slight dilemma.  Recently on this list, when I
> needed to write "Conversational Klingon" in tlhIngan Hol, I chose
> "jatlhchuqghachvaD tlhIngan Hol," or, for those of you who are lazy,
"Klingon
> for Conversation."  But "jatlhchuqghach" "conversation" sprang in my head so
> quickly that I have suspicions that I actually didn't make it up.  Tell me,
did
> anyone use that word before on this list?  If I saw it before, it might have
> popped it my head and me thinking it was my own invention.  Tell me!

Because of transitivity problems, I'd hesitate to say {jatlhchuq}.  "Speak
each other" doesn't make much sense, and the object of {jatlh} seems to be
something that must be spoken.  "I'd rather see {ja'chuq} "confer," become
{ja'chuqghach} for "conversation."  But the idea is a good one!  majQa'!  (Heh
. . . it'd keep one from forgetting that {ja'chuq} as a noun is the name of an
outdated succession ritual, and not "conversation.")

> By the way, -egh and -chuq are very good words for -ghach.  How about
another
> interesting one that I -know- I thought up?  "ghob'eghghach" "civil war."

Similar transitivity problem.  I don't think that the object of {ghob} is the
entity being fought, it's the war being fought (which makes it different than
{Suv} and probably {Qoj}).  I'm referring to TKW p. 179:

noH ghoblu'DI' yay quv law' Hoch quv puS
In war, there is nothing more honorable than victory.

Therefore, I wouldn't say {ghob'egh}.  However, we don't know how {Qoj} works;
perhaps you *can* say {Qoj'egh}.  Certainly one can say {Suv'egh}.  Still,
{Suv'eghghach} sounds like you're fighting some inner battle.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level