tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 13 20:13:13 1997

RE: KLBC: nuqjatlh

jatlh SuStel:
>On Tuesday, March 11, 1997 11:50 AM, [email protected] on behalf of Marc
>Paige wrote:
>
>> jatlh HurghwI'
>> >>>
>> mu'tlheghbej 'oHbe'mo' "Epidemes paradox" 'oHbe' mu'thleghlIj, 'ej 'oS'egh
>> 'oH (It isn't self-referential). <<rghIlb HbQIng Hobjob> rap <mu'tlheghvam
>> yajlaHbe'lu'>> jIjatlh 'e' rur mu'tlheghlIj. teHlaw' 'oH, 'ach DabuSDI',
>> teHHa'bej je' Dap 'oH 'e' Dalegh.
>>
>> Your sentence isn't a sentence, so it doesn't refer to itself, and thus is
>> not paradoxical, but simply nonsense.
>> <<<
>>
>> A few confusing parts:
>>
>> Isn't <bej> only allowed on verbs? I don't think <mu'tlheghbej> is correct.
>
>Right.  It should be {mu'tlheghna'}.
>
>> Is there a missing <be'> in <'ej 'oS'egh 'oH> (i.e. <'ej 'oSbe''egh 'oH>
>
>Yes.
>
>> What is the <<rghIlb HbQIng Hobjob> rap <mu'tlheghvam yajlaHbe'lu'>> doing?
>> Is it to provide an example of nonsense?
>
>Several forms of nonsense.  The first bit is the obvious nonsense words.
The
>next is that you can't use {-laH} and {-lu'} at the same time, yet we find
it
>here.  Also, {rap} is *probably* not a transitive word; it's "be the same,"
>not "be the same as."  Therefore, the things that are the same should all be
>the subjects.

So I should say "<rap <rghIlb HbQIng Hobjob> <mu'tlheghvam yajbe'lu'> je>,"
right?

>Since I'm here, let me point out one or two other things (sorry, HurghwI'!).

No problem, I'm sure I could use the help.

>> mu'tlheghbej 'oHbe'mo' "Epidemes paradox" 'oHbe' mu'thleghlIj,
>
>That should also have {-'e'} on the last word.

Right, I always forget those [sound of head THWACKing the table]

>> jIjatlh 'e' rur mu'tlheghlIj
>
>This bit is weird.  Can you say "your sentence resembles that I speak"?  It
>doesn't make too much sense to me.

<rap <rghIlb HbQIng Hobjob> <mu'tlheghvam yajbe'lu'> je> jIjatlh 'e' rur
mu'tlheghlIj.

Like I said, this is intended to translate to about "Your sentence is like
if I said . . ."
More literaly, "Your sentence resembles that I say . . . ." I wasn't sure
how this would work, but it was the closest I thought of at the time.

>>  teHHa'bej je' Dap 'oH 'e' Dalegh
>
>I think he meant {'ej}, not {je'}.

Right again.

-HurghwI'