tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 13 17:37:46 1997

RE: KLBC: qoSwij

I'm pulling this under KLBC.

jatlh Qo'neS:

> NuqneH!

Do not capitalize any {n}s.

> tlhingan mubbeq be'nI jiH

Please always capitalize {I}s!  And don't forget apostrophes at ends of words!
 It's {be'nI'}, not *{be'nI}.  This can be very important sometimes.

What did you mean by *{mubbeq}?  I can't find that word anywhere, and I think
it may be a mistake.

> Hovjaj 9703.25 qoSwij lop jiH

You forgot the verb prefix on {lop}.  Verbs always take prefixes, unless you
need the "null" prefix.  You cannot leave them off.  You must say {qoSwIj
vIloS jIH}.  You CAN leave out the pronoun if your meaning is clear: {qoSwIj
vIlop}.

And you have done the correct thing with the time (though I don't use that
kind of stardates anymore!).  Just stick it in front of the sentence.

> wejmaH DIS jiH

You can't say "I am thirty years," you must tell us how long ago you were
born.

wejmaH ben jIbogh
I was born thirty years ago.

> lopwI' tin ghaj jiH

There's a new word for "party" which we learned in KCD: {lopno'}.  We're not
sure if it's a specific kind of party, but for now I suspect it can be used in
a general sense.

But, does one "have" a party?  That's an English expression, and one I think
we'd better avoid in Klingon.  I have a different way to say this, which is a
little less questionable: {tIn lopno'} "The party was big."  Now, there are
some that may counter that a party is not an object, and therefore cannot have
size, but I don't really see that as a problem.  (Double-standard?  Maybe, but
I don't think so.)

> SuvwI' Qupqu' jiH!

wejmaH ben bIbogh qar'a'?
SuvwI' Qupqu' jIH juja'.