tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 11 05:04:00 1997

Re: Extra stuff qororvo'

Message text written by "Mark E. Shoulson"
>I kind of like the way we have a case in English where you actually use a
conjunction to join two structures of wildly different parts of
speech: a preposition and an adjectivem if you'll believe it.<

I just remembered something interesting on those lines.  In the Cambridge
Encyclopedia of Language, it says that the word "the" is sometimes an adverb,
like "the more the merrier."  But they're wrong; that's just an article used
with an adjective, as in "fortune favors the brave."  --qoror

Back to archive top level