tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 10 22:05:13 1997

RE: KLBC : K'Mpec

On Monday, March 10, 1997 4:44 PM, [email protected] on behalf of Sam
Gyseman wrote:

> David Trimboli wrote:
> > If you're going to translate this idiom like this, then you've done a good
job
> > by choosing to use {-mo'}.  But there are some other problems.  If you
want
> > the simplest translation (which might be a boon among Klingons, it would
be
> > wise to say simply, {*K'Mpec* HoH *DuraS*} "Duras killed K'Mpec."

> Thankyou for the advice!
> However your replacement of DuraS HoH K'Mpec seems to make DuraS the
> subject of the sentence,

As you can see, I said {*K'Mpec* HoH *DuraS*}, not {*DuraS* HoH *K'Mpec*}.
But remember, the subject of a Klingon sentence comes at the END.  The subject
of {*K'Mpec* HoH *DuraS*} is {*DuraS*}.

> whereas I have a pic of K'Mpec and want to
> explain about him, not about that p'taH DuraS.

The insult is {petaQ}.  It's in TKD on page 178, and has been used lots of
times on TV, though usually pronounced badly.

If you want to stress that K'Mpec is the topic of the sentence, not Duras,
then you can use the Type 5 Noun Suffix {-'e'} on K'Mpec.  {*K'Mpec*'e'}.  See
TKD page 29.  (I use the asterisks to note that it's a name, and not a Klingon
word.  You should do this.)

*K'Mpec*'e' HoH *DuraS*
Duras killed K'Mpec (and I'm making my point about K'Mpec).

> Should I still use HoH?

If you're talking about killing, use {HoH}.  If you're talking about something
else, say something else.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian