tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 10 22:04:57 1997

RE: KLBC: The Dominion

jatlh Qo'NeS:

> SuStel (cool name!)

qatlho'!

> "Leader of the High Council, Gowron. Suspected dead and taken over by
> the Dominion"
> {yejquv DevWI', Gowron'neS. nub HoH 'ej lantlhap nov wejDIch jogh}
> I have used Third Quadrant aliens for Dominion.
> How's that?

I would never have figured it out without the translation.  Better just stick
with the English name until we get more information.

We know Klingons pronounce Gowron's name as {ghawran}, I believe.

{-neS} is a VERB suffix, not a noun suffix.  You put it on a verb to indicate
respect.  For example,

bIHoSghajneS.
You are powerful, your honor.

I say "your honor" because it's the most convenient translation which Okrand
usually uses.  However, the real meaning is that the person you say it to is
your superior, and you want to honor him.  It's not used a lot by Klingons,
and it's never required, so I expect that it's pretty powerful to use.

Don't capitalize {w}!

Now, the main problem with what you have here is that it's not a set of
sentences, it's abbreviated phrases.  Let's expand these to real sentences.

The Klingon High Command suspects that Gowron is dead and replaced by the
Dominion.

I believe this is what you mean.

Now, can you translate these sentences:

"Gowron is dead."  Think of "Gowron has died" or "Gowron has been killed."

"The Dominion has replaced him."  (Use the name "Dominion," don't try to
translate it.  And for "replaced" you might consider using the verb {tam} . .
..

"The Klingon High Command suspects that . . ."

Finally, can you use TKD 6.2.5 to put it all together?  This is a bit
trickier.  You need to use {'e'}, the pronoun.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level