tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 10 15:18:37 1997

RE: KLBC: Klingon Textbook?

On Monday, March 10, 1997 2:03 AM, [email protected] on behalf of Adam
Ophir Shapira wrote:

> Hello,

Hi!

>   I am a Betazoid interested in learning Klingon. Unfortunately,
> having been raised here on Earth, I never developed my telepathy
> too well, so I can't just download the language from a friend's
> mind.

Hmmm . . . if Betazoids can do that, then why do they need universities?

I'm SuStel, the list's Beginners' Grammarian.  My job is to help out newcomers
with their questions and their grammar and vocabulary.  If you put "KLBC" in
the subject line, I will pay close attention to the letter and help.  You may
also hold beginner-level conversations under KLBC with others, not just
myself.  But please, remember that the BG should be the first one to respond
to another's KLBC question or grammar, to keep confusion down to a minimum.

In case you haven't already, you should check out:

The Klingon Language Institute
http://www.kli.org

This list's FAQ:
http://www.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm

>   I have purchased copies of THE KLINGON DICTIONARY, CONVERSATIONAL
> KLINGON, *and* POWER KLINGON. The first of the three appears to be
> designed more as a reference book than as a learning tool (which
> is probably why it's referred to as "Dictionary"). The other two
> *are* designed as learning tools, but since they're tapes rather
> than printed material, they won't do me much good if I'm trying
> to read and/or write stuff in Klingon.
>
>  Any suggestions?

Actually, reading TKD is the way to go.  Give it a read through.  Listen to
"Conversational Klingon" (leave "Power Klingon" for later; it's more advanced
stuff).  Reread TKD.  Practice.  Reread TKD.  Practice.  Practice.  Reread TKD
. . .  Also listen to the tapes lots of times, and speak along with Okrand.
Don't be passive about it.  And post lots of KLBC conversations!

tugh tlhIngan Hol Dajatlhchu'!

not yIjegh!

--
SuStel