tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 09 15:18:49 1997

RE: Quickie (possible spoiler)

jatlh HomDoq:

> 'etlhqengwI' says about {mu'vamqoq}:
> > > Exactly!  (It's a very terse tlhIngan Hol equivalent to an
> > > English sentence like "This sentence is false.")
> >
> to which SuStel replies:
> > That's what inspired it, but where "This sentence is false" is a loop or
> > sorts, my "word" is simply inclusively true.
> >
> beg your pardon? what does "inclusively true" mean?

If something is inclusively true, it includes itself in whatever it is
describing.  I may be misspeaking the word, but I don't think so.  I got the
phrase from reading about set theory.

"Multisyllabic" is an inclusive term.  "Monosyllabic" is not.  It does not
apply to itself.

> I admit, I have some difficulties in getting the joke;
> if you mean, the suffixes are reversed and in the _right_ order
> describe the construct with the _wrong_ order, I kinda see it...
> (the compound of {mu'vam} with {qoq} is a legal but - at least
> to me - unintelligible word)

No, I didn't mean "This word-robot."

Oh, come now.  Don't tell me you couldn't understand what I meant when I said
{mu'vamqoq}.  In fact, you managed to translate it!  The word is said wrong,
and it means "this so-called word," indicating that it is incorrectly called a
"word" . . .

Well, *I* thought it was funny.

--
SuStel