tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 09 15:18:08 1997

RE: more on -moH qororvo'

jatlh qoror:

> qoror here.  In your response to my accompanyment to the second sentence,
let me
> explain.  I know that "be honored" is passive in English, but in Klingon,
"quv"
> is passive without "-lu'."  It's sort of like the Klingon verb/adjectives.
You
> see, the meaning of "quv" in the second sentence hasn't changed from passive
> active or from active to passive, so that's why I called it active.

*Meanings* aren't active or passive, how you say them is.  Klingon simply
doesn't have this distinction.

jIqet
I run.

jIQong
I sleep.

jIquv
I am honored.
I experience the state of being honored.
I possess the quality of being honored.

You're getting hung up on the English translation, not the Klingon.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level