tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 09 15:18:06 1997

RE: Qit jImugh ....... KLBC

jatlh Stephen Ray:

> DaH "the trouble with tribbles" vImughchoHmohtaH

Again, don't use {-moH} with the verb {mugh} like this.  {vImughchoHmoHtaH}
means "I continuously cause it to begin translating."  And you usually won't
need to use both {-choH} and {-taH}; {vImughchoH} means "I begin to translate
it."

<DaH "The Trouble with Tribbles" vImughchoH.>

yImughQo'!  yIjatlh!
Don't translate!  Speak!

> yIlughmoH

lu'.

> nuqDaq luyintaH yIHmey

If you meant "Where do tribbles live," (please include the original English!)
remember that {nuqDaq} is not the object of {yIn}.  {nuqDaq} is a question
word, and replaces a noun with the Type 5 suffix {-Daq} on it.  These aren't
objects either; see TKD 6.1.

nuqDaq yIntaH yIHmey?
Where do tribbles live?

> Sovlu'taHbe'

"One discontinuously knows."  Although putting {-be'} on an aspect suffix has
been done before, you're better off putting it where it will make more sense:

Sovbe'lu'taH.
One continuously does not know.

> SepmohtaH yuQmey ngeD

I presume you meant to say "Easy planets cause them to breed."  It seems to me
that you've lost some detail in what you were trying to say, because you
weren't sure how to say it.  How about this?

bIHvaD Qobbe'chugh yuQ, pa' Sepqu'taH.
If a planet is not dangerous to them, they will really breed there.

> mach bIH yIHmey Qup qu'

Huh?  I'm not sure what you mean.  Was {qu'} supposed to be the word {qu'}
"fierce," or the suffix {-qu'}?  You'll need to explain what you're trying to
say, or else try again.

> DeSDu' ghajtaHbe' yIH 'ej 'uSDu' ghajtaHbe' 'oH

I really don't think those {-taH}s do anything for the sentence.  If you're
got an arm or a leg, you've obviously got it continuously, unless you're a
Dralasite or a shape-shifter.  And you've negated the {-taH}s again, not the
verb.

DeSDu' ghajbe' yIH 'ej 'uSDu' ghajbe' 'oH.

> mInDu' ghajtaHbe' 'oH

mInDu' ghajbe' 'oH.

> nuj neH ghajtaH 'oH
> QIt yIteghchoHmoH 'ach pob tiqghajtaH yIH

I don't know the word {tegh}.  And you've said something about hair and a
heart, but it's attached to the {ghaj} and the {I} is lowercase . . .  You'd
better rewrite this one.

> jochbe' yIHmey

Sure they are!  They're "an ecological menace," remember?  :)

> jochbe'bej
> not jochbe'bej

"They never are definitely not dangerous."  Get rid of the {-be'} if you're
going to use {not}, otherwise you've got a double-negative.

not jochbej.

> pItlh

majQa'.

> �WPC