tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 06 18:01:52 1997

RE: KLBC: <lan> jIyajbe'

jatlh SI'IluD:

> I am taking David Barron's postal course and am up to lesson 6.
> <David Barron> paQDI'norgh vIghoj 'ej qeq jav vIHaDlI'

vaj pablIj vIlughmoH neH.  qaQaHlaHbe'.

(By the way, David Barron, if anybody ever asked me a question which appears
on your postal course, I wouldn't recognize it, and I'd be giving it away!)

> Sentence 9 uses the verb <lan>
> wot <lan> lo' mu'tlhegh Hut

A bit of apposition with {wot <lan>}, but we can do that.  I try to avoid
overdoing it, though, as it can get confusing.

> How does one use the verb <lan>?
> chay' wot <lan> lo'lu'

maj.  'ach bIjangmeH bIlaDnIS SoH'e'

> >From exercise 6, sentence 9:
> qeq javvo' mu'tlhegh Hut: <naDev lannISbe' Dochvetlh'e'>

This would do as clipped Klingon.  There's no main verb.

Hmmm . . . does the sentence really say that?

> I translate it as (guessing)
> vImughlaw' <That thing doesn't go here.>

I don't know how quotations work with verbs like {mugh}, but probably treat
them as the objects of the verb.  Otherwise, I'd have to use {jI-} instead of
{vI-}.

And {-law'} doesn't mean you're guessing about how accurate your translation
is.  It means you're guessing that you are translating at all!

> Does the verb work in this sentence? <I put the pet out>
> mu'tlheghvamvaD Qap'a' wot <HurDaq Saj vIlan>

maj.  'ach jIjanglaHbe'taH!

> Thanks in advance
> qatlho' chojangpa'

Heh . . . that's right, too!