tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 06 18:02:37 1997

RE: Catholic taymey KLBC

jatlh [email protected]:

> Catholics have rites and Klingons have rites.  Could there be Klingon
> Catholic rites?  This more vocabulary question rather than a spiritual one.
>  I am currently going though RCIA(see below) and have gone through some
> rites.  Here are some rites and translations of them:

Well, this is really out of my field.  I'm not Catholic, any kind of
Christian, or any other religion for that matter, so I can only advise you on
the literal translations, not the best meanings.  There are others on the list
who have done much more extensive Biblical work in Klingon.

> Rite of Welcoming
> laj'a' tay

You've said, "Does the ceremony accept?"  You could say {lajmeH tay} "Rite for
accepting."  Or even {muvmeH tay} "Rite for joining."  Oh, wait!  There's
{muvtay}, isn't there?

> Right of Christian Initiation for Adults
> <qrISt>tlha'wI muvtay tay nenwI'pu'vaD

Don't transliterate names into Klingon.  Christ was never called {qrISt} by
anyone other than you and perhaps a few Klingonists.  Just use the word in
quotes or asterisks.

Don't use {-vaD} unless you are making it be the beneficiary of a *verb*.  Use
the possessive for what you mean here.

nenwI' "Christian" muvtay.

> Rite of Recognition of Continuing Convertion
> ghovghach boghqa'taHghach tay

Heh . . . That means {charghtaH "Christianity"}, doesn't it?

You've said "Recognization's Continual-rebirth Rite."  Don't use {-ghach} for
something serious like this unless you have an intervening suffix; see HolQeD
3:3 and 3:4 for a detailed explanation of {-ghach} (I've summarized here many
times, but I don't have the time right now to do it again).

I might suggest something like

choHmoHtaHghach ghovmeH tay
Rite for Recognizing Continuous Conversion.

> Rite of Sending
> ngeH tay

We're not allowed to invent compounds of nouns and verbs, but I'd bet that's
what the Klingons would come up with.  Without this liberty, though, I'd say

ngeHmeH tay
Rite for Sending.

--
SuStel