tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 01 18:04:58 1997

Re: KLBC: New Words - magic, magician

|Even if these worked grammatically (which they don't) I don't like them.
> |They are ambiguous.  In the KSRP version of "Hamlet" the word "witch" is
> |translated as *qa' SeHwI'*, "Controller of Spirits".  Extending this
idea,

> Which is equally ambiguous as it also describes what an "exorcist" does.
>
> |I would think that *qa' HoS* or "Spirit Power" would work reasonably
well
> |for "magic"
>
> I guess it depends on just what your tradition considers "magic" and what
> it considers "religion" (for which we do have a word: lalDan). One
person's
> "spell" is another's "prayer" or "blessing." All of which, of course, is
> irrelevant to what the Klingons may believe--if anything. Any Wiccans
care
> to add their cha' DeQ to this discussion?

I agree, it's not perfect, and probably would not be appropriate in all
contexts.  But it might work in several situations.  The truth is that
SuStel was correct in pointing out that we really don't have a word for
magic.  In such situations, all we can do is improvise to fit the moment.
Another possibility  might be:

		qa' Sov lalDan (Spirit knowledge religion)

Although this might be closer to "Wicca" the religion than the specific
power of magic.  If there are any Wiccans listening, I'd also like to hear
your input.

SuSvaj

Back to archive top level