tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 28 19:35:19 1997

Re: KLBC: proper use of meQ - burn

[email protected] on behalf of HetaQ wrote:

> > > Well, you may see where this is going.  Our attorneys heard from Viacom.

> > >  They have restated their demands for the destruction of remaining
> > > inventory of "Secret Fighting Arts".
> >
> > quvHa''eghmoHchu' taHqeqpu'!  Do'Ha' not paqvam vIlaDpu'.  qep'a'
loSDIchDaq
> > vIlegh, qar'a'?  vIje'laHbe' 'a vIlegh vIneH.
>
> qep'a' loSDIchDaq  soHvaD nob vIqem

toH!  jupna' quv SoH!

> > > We've tried doing business with them, tried ignoring them, and then
begged
> > > (I'm ashamed as a Klingon) for licensing.  Now it is simply time for
WAR!

> > verengan Ha'DIbaHvam tIHoH!
>
> vaj [Paramount] DISuvmeH matay' chaq 'e' vIpIH'a'

Since "Paramount" is a singular noun, you need {wI-}, not {DI-}.

I'm not sure exactly why you've used both {chaq} and {-'a'}.  Either ask a
question or suggest something.  Don't suggest a question!

SuvmeH mIw vISovbe'.  chuttej jIHbe'.

> > > mupwI' qeylIS nuqaDvIpjaj jaghmaj jay'
> >
> > "May our enemies be afraid to challenge us hammer's Kahless."  Huh?
>
> va
> qeylIS mupwI' luqaDvIpjaj jaghmaj jay'

The only question now is exactly who is the enemy you refer to.  If it's
"Paramount," then {jaghmaj} is fine.  Paramount is an organization, a thing.
If the subject is "they," which it must be since you've used the prefix {lu-},
then you must say {jaghma'}.  They can speak, after all.

> Dubta''a' pab

What does the grammar improve?  In one of the SkyBox cards we see that {Dub}
is transitive.  The subject is the person causes the improvement, and the
object is the thing which has been improved.

pab vIDubta''a'?

> yajlu'meH ngeD'a'

DaH jIyaj.

--