tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 30 16:14:09 1997

Re: Captions in the movies

>Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 22:29:53 -0700 (PDT)
>From: [email protected]
>
>In a message dated 97-06-27 02:35:11 EDT, voragh supplies:
>
><< Chang:   ...taH pagh. Qo'noS wa'Daq baHta' <DaH wa'noS> ...       (??)
>           (...that Enterprise fired on Kronos One without provocation.)
>           [taH pagh. Qo'noS wa'Daq baHta'.]                  (captions)
>           [(TRANSLATOR) THE ENTERPRISE FIRED ON KRONOS ONE WITHOUT
>            PROVOCATION]                                      (captions)
>           {"The state will show, that Enterprise fired on Kronos One
>            without provocation, the chancellor and his advisors..."}
> 							        (novel) >>
>
>What is the Klingon word for "provocation," or for "provoke"?  I assume the
>words you have enclosed in <> are not canonized tlhIngan Hol, or at least
>await MO's clarification.

Who said there is one?  I would translate "without provocation" as
"paghmo'".  And conversely, _in context_, I would translate "paghmo'" as
"without provocation."  There may be a word, but just because one occurs in
a translation doesn't mean there's a special word in the original.  You
know as well as I that languages do not translate word for word.

~mark

Back to archive top level