tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 29 23:27:18 1997

Ambiguity

Every Saturday evening we hold a Klingon language class at House Veska in
Westminster, Colorado.  Last lesson I had written up the following two
sentences:

De' potlh ghaj matlh 'ej peghchu' 'oH
De' pegh Qoy valqor neH ghaH

The story of Maltz goes on.

I read the first sentence aloud.  Then the class read it with me 2-3 times
for pronunciation practice.  When I asked a student to translate, I received,
"Maltz had some important information and it was top secret."  Now, on to the
second sentence:  We went through the same procedure and I received the
translation, "Valqor wanted to hear the secret information."

As much as I had to admit that the student had made a perfect translation, I
had been expecting to hear "He wanted Valqor to hear the secret information."
 I realize I could have written {De' pegh Qoy valqor neH matlh}' but, I had
assumed that the subject of the previous sentence could be replaced by a
pronoun harmlessly.  Not so, ambiguity surprises and confuses!

peHruS

Back to archive top level