tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 28 09:32:33 1997

Re: KLBC: vItIch chIswI' jiH

[email protected] on behalf of cha'wIgh wrote:

> Well, it means I've made the same mistake with the word order and I
> didn't get away with using vicious to mean tangy.nuqDaq ro'qegh'Iwchab
> naS - I think is the correct word order.
> How about - nuqDaq ro'qegh'Iwchab wIbwI'. I'm not sure about this
> because there appears to be no verb since wIb has effectively become an
> adjective.

You're experiencing problems because you have no main verb.  {wIbwI'} means
"thing which is sour," but it's now a noun, and cannot be used adjectivally.
If you simply stick a qualitative verb after a noun, it becomes an adjective.
{ro'qegh'Iwchab wIb} "sour Rokeg blood pie."

But there's still no main verb in there.  Please see TKD 6.3 on how to do "to
be."

nuqDaq 'oH ro'qegh'Iwchab wIb
Where is the sour Rokeg blood pie?

> yItIv jajvam

Er . . . you just commanded the day to enjoy something.  Imperatives also
follow the standard subject order, though the subject is always {SoH} or
{tlhIH}.  If you want to tell someone to "enjoy this day," it's

jajvam yItIv

Be warned, however, that Klingons do not say such things.  If you speak like
that, you're bound to be marked as a tourist with no taste!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level