tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 27 21:12:48 1997

Re: Requesting Phrasebook

Alan Anderson wrote:

> ja' Qov:

> >For the completely confused: Canadians
> >apparently can differentiate more variations of the letter "o" than
> >Americans, or we draw the o/u line in a different place, or
> >something.  The variety of "o" that Qov uses when she says Marc
> >Okrand's example word "mosaic" happens to be a sound that most
> >Americans cannot distinguish from "u".  This caused confusion and a
> >very indignant Qov for the first day of qep'a' wejDIch.
>
> I'll go with the different o/u distinction theory.  I could quickly
> hear the difference between my "o", your "o", and my "u", but your
> "o" fit a lot closer to my "u" in my ear.  Even after a day or so
> of becoming accustomed to the Kanadian accent, I thought for a moment
> that you were asking me to make my eyes few instead of opening them. :-)

Because my area of upstate New York is so close to the Canadian border,
we have quite a few Canadians both living in the area and talking on
local TV and radio stations.  To the extent that I understood Qov at all
(my vocabulary was not that great at the qep'a' wejDIch) I had no
problems with her "o" and "u".  In twenty days I'll get to test that
again.

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD qhojwI'