tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 27 18:36:42 1997

RE: I NEED SOME HELP

[email protected] on behalf of LIC. FREDDY ARTURO PRIEGO PRIEGO wrote:

>     I`m a student of languages in my university and some weeks ago, i
>     found "The Official Page of the Klingon Institute".  I told my
>     teachers about this new language and he asks me to make an
>     exposition about it.>
>
>     My problem, is that i need to know some basic phrases like these:

You'll need to know more than how to say phrases.  Klingon has its own grammar
and vocabulary.  The language is outlined in the book The Klingon Dictionary,
by Marc Okrand (it can be purchased on the KLI's Merchant page).  To
understand Klingon in any degree, it's vital that you read this book.

As the list's Beginners' Grammarian, I'm not in the habit of just telling
someone how to say something, if they haven't made an effort to figure it out
for themselves.  If you wish to write about Klingon, then you've GOT to
understand it a little.  If you can get the dictionary, I can help you out
with these.

If someone else wishes to just go and tell him how to say these, go ahead;
it's just not me.

>     What is your name?      My name is .......

There are a couple of ways to say this.  One is simply a copy of the English
form, though using the Klingon "to be" structure (TKD 6.3).

The other method is to use the verb {pong} "name, call."  The object of this
verb is the name itself, and the entire sentence is then applied to the person
being named by use of the {-vaD} "intended for" noun suffix (see TKD 3.3.5).

>     Where are you from?     I am from ........

This is a funny question.  You must think more carefully about what you really
mean.  Are you asking where the person was born?  Where they are living now?
Where they lived in the past?  Choose your exact meaning, and construct a
sentence.

>     How old are you?        I am 20 years old

In Klingon, you must tell how many years ago you were born.  Use the noun
{ben}.

>     And also some words:
>     Hello.          Good Morning.
>     Welcome.        Good Afternoon.
>     See you.        Good Bye.

Klingon has none of these.  It doesn't use meaningless little phrases like
these.  Klingons just state their business and get it over with.  Then they
leave.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian