tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 27 15:44:12 1997

RE: KLBC: nuqneH - cha'wIgh

[email protected] on behalf of Norman Thomas wrote:

> Thank you for your comments and examples SuStel :-))

qay'be'.

> I have translated insult the porcelain as "vItIch chISHey Doch" (please
> read the other email with that title for further explanation) which I
> think gets about as close to the original meaning as possible with the
> limited vocabulary of klingon.

And please see my response to this phrase.

> I agree that translating the whimsical is tough but I have such a boring
> job that I need something to be a bit of a challenge in my life.

The fact is that it's virtually impossible to say whimsical things until you
have mastered the basics of Klingon.

> I find it hard to believe that you haven't heard of blue or lofty being
> used that way. How about the horizontally unchallenged being called
> slim?

No, though I can extrapolate it from "horizontally challenged" meaning "fat."

> jIyIn Soch HuDmey
> This phrase is supposed to tell you all where I live. In English there
> would be an in or at somewhere there : is it needed in Klingon?

In Klingon we've got the Type 5 noun suffix {-Daq}.  This suffix is the
locative.  When it's attached to a noun, that noun indicates that the action
of the verb happens in, around, or towards that noun.

Unfortunately, {Soch HuDmeyDaq jIyIntaH} "I live in/at/on seven mountains"
isn't very informative.  Is that a name?  You should always mark names with
asterisks (since we don't have the equivalent of capitalization in English to
mark proper nouns).

Is there any way you can avoid sending an HTML duplicate of your mail in each
post?

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian