tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 27 00:40:47 1997

RE: KLBC story: puyjaq

At 09:40 PM 6/26/97 -0700, SuStel wrote:
>jatlh Qov:
>
>> neH neH. matlhqu'mo' 'ej chunmo' QupwI',  chIjwI' chergh.
>
>Are you saying that the Captain is the young one?

ghobe'.  "Because the youngster was innocent and fully loyal, he tolerated
the navigator."  Hmm.  I see.  Ambiguous or just plain wrong antecedent in
both original and translation.  Substitute: matlhqu'mo' 'ej chunmo' chIjwI'
Qup, chergh HoD.

>> ben law'
>> rur HoD.
>
>This is a bit confusing.  I read it as "Years ago, the captain resembled him."
> What do you mean to say?

Exactly that.  I can't think of a differently worded translation.

>> <De'wI'> jatlh HoD. <qon: Hovtay' tlh-ng-cha'SaD loSvatlh SochmaH
>> chorgh wInuDta'.
>
>Given that we know little or nothing about the Klingon writing system, I don't
>think we should go and assume that they'd abbreviate things like this.  (Not
>that I know what you're abbreviating.  The first one is obviously {tlhIngan}.)

yIloyqa'. It's just the catalogue number of a solar system.  TN-2478.  pagh 'oS.

>> <wej Hovtay' tlh-ng-2478 wInuD!
>
>Got tired of writing out numbers?  :)

Same number.  I thought it might be clearer that it was a catalogue
designation if I wrote it closer to the way we do in English.  Guess not.

>> <puqloD> jatlh HoD.

>Is the navigator the captain's son?  I suppose so.  Or are you trying to
>translate the word "son" when used as a general term of address for a superior
>to an underling?  In English, "son" might be used, but we have no idea what
>Klingons use.

If I didn't like you I could poke you in the nose for being so picky,
SuStel.  It was intended as a very mild term of condescension. The navigator
is, after all, *someone's* son.

>> <HoD quv> qoy' chIjwI'.  <ghayan SepvamDaq tlhIlmey potlh lutu'lu'.
>
>So far, every time we see {tu'lu'} with a plural object, it doesn't use the
>{lu-} prefix.  I'd suggest that this be changed to {tlhIlmey potlh tu'lu'}.
>There's at least one more {tu'lu'} below.

I think lutu'lu' is the Klingon whom. What is it with the lu- prefix anyway?
Does anyone else find that all the other prefixes come naturally but you
have to go back and do a deliberate check for missing lu- prefixes?

>> yuQmeyvam DInuDnISqu'!>
>> <va> jang HoD Duy'.
>
>The captain is defective?  Or did you mean {Doy'}?

Doy'ba'. I guess it's my Canadangan accent making it look like a u. :)

>> Duj QoD chIjwI'. yuQHommey ghomHa'bogh junta'DI' loQ Hong ghur,
>I don't know if you'd "evade" a planet.

planetoids.  Lots of them.  All zipping through the system.  I'd evade them
if I were piloting.  Maybe ghopDapmey is better.

>> 'ach bong pIvghor chu'.
>bong?  bong?!?

You're just trying to trick me into opening the mu'ghom.  bong:
accidentally, by accident. Hong leQ lIStaHvIS bong pIvghor leQ mup.
DaHarbe''a'?

>> <Haw'! pIvlob wa'maH!> ra' HoD.
>
>Warp Factor 10?  These Klingons must be using the old-style Warp scale.

wa'maH ja'DI' HoD yaj chIjwI'.  <nom yIjaH jay'!>  tIqqu' <Hut DoD Hut Hut
Hut Hut Hut>.

qatlho', SuStel.

Back to archive top level