tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 26 18:47:18 1997

Captions in the movies

|ja' Voragh:
|>BTW, if your TV can display Closed Captions switch them on the next time
|>you watch ST6. They're quite informative in this film (not so much in ST3
|>and ST5 though). Nothing startling, but there are some nice details you may
|>not have heard over the music, sound effects and other voices.
|
|When Chang quotes {taH pagh taHbe'} at dinner, it is not translated in
|the subtitles, leaving most of the viewers as befuddled as the majority
|of the Enterprise crew for a moment.  The Closed Captions, however, say
|[SPEAKING KLINGON] TO BE OR NOT TO BE.

Ah, but Chang repeats this before the torpedo hits his Bird of Prey at the
end of the movie and the captions there are more informative.

|There are two notable lines that are intelligible *only* in the Closed
|Captions.  When the two starfleet traitors beam aboard the Bird-of-Prey,
|the Klingon in the transporter room calls out {SoH 'Iv jay'} twice, but
|you would never know it from the sounds the actor produces. :-(  A moment
|later, another shouts what sounds like "go-kwah" -- the Closed Captions
|reveal the line to be {ghoQaH} "Help us!"

|-- ghunchu'wI'

Here are all the Klingon lines with captions from my transcript of ST6:

State dinner aboard the Enterprise:

Chang:   taH pagh taHbe'
          ("To be or not to be.")			   (subtitles)
          [(IN KLINGON) TO BE OR NOT TO BE.]                (captions)

Azetbur: vavoy                                   [toasting her father]
          [Daddy!]                                      (untranslated)
          [VAVOY.]                                          (captions)

In the Enterprise transporter room, after dinner:

Chang:   DaH machegh
          [We're returning now.]                         (untranslated)
          [DaH machegh.]                                     (captions)

During the attack on Kronos One (much untranslated shouting):

_____:   chay' jura'
          [What are your orders?]                        (untranslated)
          [chay' jura']                                      (captions)

Two people in Federation battle dress beam aboard Kronos One:

Guard1:  yotwI'
          [Intruder!]                                    (untranslated)
          [yotwI'!]                                          (captions)

Korrd:   SoH 'Iv jay'
          [Who the hell are you?]                        (untranslated)
          [SoH 'Iv jay'?]                                    (captions)

Korrd:   ghoQaH
          [Help us!]                                     (untranslated)
          [ghoQaH]                                           (captions)

_____:   qaStaH nuq jay'
          [What the hell is happening?]                  (untranslated)
          [gaStaH nug jay'?]                                 (captions)

_____:   ropyaH yIghuHmoH
          [Prepare sick bay!]                            (untranslated)
          [ropyaH yIghuHmoH!]                                (captions)

Kirk and McCoy's show trial on Kronos:

Chang:   ...taH pagh. Qo'noS wa'Daq baHta' <DaH wa'noS> ...       (??)
          (...that Enterprise fired on Kronos One without provocation.)
          [taH pagh. Qo'noS wa'Daq baHta'.]                  (captions)
          [(TRANSLATOR) THE ENTERPRISE FIRED ON KRONOS ONE WITHOUT
           PROVOCATION]                                      (captions)
          {"The state will show, that Enterprise fired on Kronos One
           without provocation, the chancellor and his advisors..."}
							        (novel)

On Rura Penthe (each repeated several times):

Guard:  yIghoStaH
         [Keep moving!]                                 (untranslated)
         [SHOUTING IN KLINGON]                              (captions)
         [yIghoStaH!]                                       (captions)

Guard:  tugh tugh
         [Hurry up!]                                    (untranslated)
         [tugh! tugh!]                                      (captions)

Crossing the Klingon border at Morska Listening Post:

Kesla:   Dujvetlh 'oH nuq? rIn.
          (What ship is that? ...over.)			   (subtitles)
          <dujvetz oh nook? reen.>                ("dialect" as heard)
          [Dujvetlh 'oH nug? rIn.]                          (captions)

Kesla:   nuqDaq ghoS? rIn.                                 ("dialect")
          (What is your destination? Over.)		   (subtitles)
          [nugDaq ghoS? rIn.]                               (captions)

Uhura:   rura' penteDaq Soj Doch <yuS> vIqIch. rIn              [sic!]
          (Rura Penthe. We is condemning food...things and supplies.
           Over.)					   (subtitles)
          [rura penteDag...]                                (captions)

IKV Dakronh in combat with Enterprise at Khitomer:

Chang:   taH pagh taHbe'
          ("To be or not to be."                        (untranslated)
          [taH pagh... taHbe']                              (captions)

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level