tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 25 18:57:43 1997

RE: KLBC: Yet another post

[email protected] on behalf of Nicholas Gurley wrote:

> *The Return* vIlaDtaH 'ej 'oH vImugh vIneH. yIloS!

You're just talking to one person?  Me?  Or was this addressed to multiple
people?  {peloS}.

> neH 'ay' vImugh vIneH.

{neH} always comes *after* the noun or verb it's modifying.  When modifying a
verb, it trivializes the action.  When it's modifying a noun (as you need
here), it says that that noun is the only one we're talking about.

wa' 'ay' neH vImugh vIneH
I want to translate only one section.

> Geez, I think I just stuck my Klingon foot in my mouth. I can't continue
> with this one.
>
> What I was trying to say:
> I am reading "The Return" (by William Shatner) and I want to translate it.
> Wait! I want to translate only a section. [Note: my Klingon has completely
> fallen apart right here, and this is where is the translation ends. To
> continue...]

Perhaps this suggests that you're not quite ready for this task.  Before you
can successfully translate someone else's words, you must be able to say your
*own* words.

> The section with Worf and Kirk fighting in it.
>
> How do you say: "The section with Worf and Kirk fighting in it."?
> I tried "The section in which Worf and Kirk are fighting" but I couldn't
> figure out how to say "in which".

This is the age-old "ship in which I fled problem."  Please see the FAQ.

In this case, I'd go for a complete rephrasing and breakdown.

wa' 'ay' neH vImugh vIneH.
'ay'vamDaq Suv wo'rIv *Kirk* je.

I want to translate only one section.
Worf and Kirk fight in this section.

> But to continue with my other question: How can you say "Is that why you
> face me with a coward's posture?" I couldn't even start the sentence (I
> couldn't figure out how to say "Is that why...")

Try stating it as a statement, then make it a "tag" question:

vaj choqaDDI' nuch Darur, qar'a'?
Thus, when you challenge me you act like a coward, right?

It's the {vaj} that does the work here.  Also, I chose {qaD} to be the
subordinate clause's verb here.  If the context suggests a better one, use
that one instead.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian