tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 25 11:34:26 1997

Re: Requesting Phrasebook

ghItlh Qov:

> yIqel, chu'wI'pu': to speak tlhIngan Hol you must 1) learn to speak
> with an Eastern American accent.
> wejpuH. Could be worse. Okrand could be from Texas.

Actually, Marc seems to have grown up in about the same part of southern
California that I did.  This is probably a good thing because of all the
American dialects of English, the southern California one is usually
considered to be the least marked.  (Okay, so we don't typically
distinguish between the sounds of the vowels in "cot" and "caught" but
that's it).

> I will sit down with one of our
> resident lingusts and get them to explain exactly which "o" it is
> that I have to use for intelligibility.

I'll tell you now, so that you can practice and dazzle us when you arrive.
 It's that short, staccato "o" from Russian or Japanese, not the "o-U"
dipthong we use in English.

Does that help?  Please note that I did not invoke any Uto-Aztecan
languages like Marc did to explain "tlh."  ;)

Lawrence

Back to archive top level