tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 25 09:46:52 1997

Re: Requesting Phrasebook

Holtej wrote:
& On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Robyn Stewart wrote:
& > I still get funny looks for referring to appendix
& > vocabulary as "new words."
& Not to mention your, ahem, unusual pronunciations. ;)

Hey!  qep'a' wejDIchDaq jIpawDI', <o> vIjatlhmeH <mosaic> vIqelchu'.
TKD didn't mention that I was supposed to your the northeastern
American pronunciation of <mosaic>.  bIHojbe'chugh Canadangan
jatlhwI' nawlogh vImuvmoH 'ej QIchmaj boyajnISch*o*H H*o*ch!
And when I'm through I'll teach you Americanganpu' to say 'about'
instead of the 'abowt' you say normally or the 'aboot' you say when
you try to imitate QIchna'.

yIqel, chu'wI'pu': to speak tlhIngan Hol you must 1) learn to speak
with an Eastern American accent and then 2) use the American vowels,
minus most (but not all) of their extraneous dipthongs in Klingon.
wejpuH.  Could be worse. Okrand could be from Texas.

Klingon is seriously lacking a word for tease.  loQ joy', perhaps?
Sometimes I use qotlh.

For the completely confused: Canadians
apparently can differentiate more variations of the letter "o" than
Americans, or we draw the o/u line in a different place, or
something.  The variety of "o" that Qov uses when she says Marc
Okrand's example word "mosaic" happens to be a sound that most
Americans cannot distinguish from "u".  This caused confusion and a
very indignant Qov for the first day of qep'a' wejDIch.  When I
arrive at qep'a' loSDIch, after the obligatory screaming of people's
names, and after I've got my food (I'm arriving late, but you'd
better save some qagh for me) I will sit down with one of our
resident lingusts and get them to explainqa' exactly which "o" it is
that I have to use for intelligibility.  Then LOOOK OOOUT! and keep
your mu'ghommey ready.

'o'wIjmo' pebep 'e' yImev!

 -Qov

Back to archive top level