tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 24 15:08:29 1997

RE: KLBC: Family Line

[email protected] on behalf of Tony Pierce wrote:

> How would I say "I am Kontay son of Kotang"
>
> I know that *qontay* jIH means "I am Kontay."
> But the son of Kotang part confuses me.
>
> Everytime I think of a way to say it in English it breaks a rule or the
> word doesn't exist. For example if I say "...his son" that would be
> puqloDDaj But that is taboo. But yet -Daj is not one of the Type 4 suffixes
> that you can drop the "j" on. It would seem to me that such a common phrase
> would have an easily accesible translation. What would you suggest I say?

The taboo is only for first- and second-person possessives.  {puqloDDaj} is
fine.

We can use a bit of apposition here:

*qotang* puqloD *qontay* jIH.

How to say "So-and-so, child of Such-and-such" has always been a topic of
conversation around here.  There are many ways people have devised to say
this.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian