tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 23 19:39:24 1997

Re: Expressing age.

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997 15:17:32 -0700 (PDT)  "Donald E. Vick"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> David Trimboli wrote:
> > Marc Okrand himself has used the {bogh} example, though he also added the
> > aspect suffix {-pu'}, for reasons which he has not explained yet (I did ask).

I still believe it is the case that, for example, I'll typically
say in English, "I'm 42 years old." So, is today my birthday?
Well, no. I was actually born more than 42 years ago, though not
yet 43 years ago. But a Klingon is NEVER approximate, right? So
I should not say, "I was born 42 years ago." I should say, "42
years ago, I had been born." After all, 42 years before today, I
had already been born. Now, if you ask me how old I am on my
birthday, I'd omit the {-pu'}...

>      It's appropriate, in that you were born, you are finished being
> born, and the action is definitely complete.  Also, I seem to remember
> him mentioning that the -pu' suffix was originally intended to be past
> tense before he abandoned tense altogether.

Indeed, I've also heard him mention this parenthetically qep'a'
wejDIchDaq, but he did not explain further.

> Hugh the Barefoot
> Barony of South Downs, Meridies
> | Thaddaeus Vick, Linguist to the Masses |       [email protected]       |
> | I could be wrong.  After all, there's  |                           |
> |      a first time for everything.      | http://www.crl..com/~dvick |

charghwI'

Back to archive top level