tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 23 15:46:15 1997

Re: KLBC: The first time, Grammar check

>Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 16:27:55 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
>
>jatlh peHruS:
>
>> loS Hu' wa'netlh loS *feet*  juSbogh HuD vItoSta'bogh Qu' vIqIH
>
>"Four days ago I met (for the first time) a task of a mountain which I had
>climbed which overtook 10,004 feet."
>
>nuqjatlh?!?
>
>"Meeting a challenge" is an English metaphor; we don't know that Klingons
>"meet for the first time" their tasks.  For all we know, they talk of
>"beginning to fight for a task."  We have no way of knowing.

I didn't much like the use of {qIH}, but what bothered me more was trying
to parse those relative clauses.  Let me see...

{loS Hu'} (maybe it should be written {loSHu'}?)... so far no problem.

{wa'netlh loS *feet* juSbogh HuD}, a mountain that "passes" 10,004 feet.  A
little weird choice-of-words-wise, but I'm still with you so far as the
syntax goes.

{vItoSta'bogh} "which I climbed."  I presume the object is the mountain,
the subject is "I" (of course)...  But now how does this noun phrase relate
to the noun after it?  Wait, in N-N?  As in "the task of a 10,004-foot-tall
mountain which I climbed"?  What's a mountain's task, whether or not you've
climbed it?  Apposition?  It's an awfully heavy noun phrase to use in
apposition, and since when is a mountain a task?

I'm really puzzled by your construction in this sentence.  The words
trouble me less.

>HuD Dung bIng je jojDaq wa'netlh loS "feet" tu'lu'
>There are 40,004 feet from the top of the mountain to the bottom.

Just how tall IS this puppy?

>> HuD nach pawpa' ghomwI' poS qamwIj tlhe'lu'
>
>"Before the open (left side?) encounterer arrived the mountain's head, my foot
>was turned."
>
>nuqjatlh?!?

"poS qamwIj": the left-side's my-foot.  Or my foot of the left side.  It
sounds kind of stilted to me (using -wIj on the second noun of a N-N
construction seems weird, since you're already attributing ownership to
something else, and now you're putting -wIj to attribute ownership to
yourself?)  I might have also gone with {poSwIj qam} (the foot of my left
side), but that also seems strange.  It's the FOOT that we really want to
say is mine.  I suppose both ways have their problems.

>> pov povmeH jan vIlIghpu' 'ej ropyaH vIpaw
>
>"In the afternoon I had ridden a device for being excellent and [now] I
>arrived the infirmary."
>
>What's a {povmeH jan}?

Heh.  When I read this I read "In order to make the afternoon excellent" (I
actually read it ironically: "to top off the afternoon...") "I rode a
device."  Which in retrospect doesn't make much sense; "jan" isn't the word
I'd have expected.  {povmeH jan} I suppose could be believable for
"ambulance", but it's a pretty poetical-sounding image.

~mark

Back to archive top level