tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 22 17:25:33 1997

Re: Adverbials

>Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 01:44:37 -0700 (PDT)
>From: [email protected]
>
>While I am anxious to learn new words of any part of speech, I hope SuStel is
>right in betting we will soon get more Adverbs.
>
>Meanwhile, how do we express adverbially concepts for which we do not have a
>specifically glossed adverb.
>
>Assume we want to say, "A group of warriors must fight together."  We get
>{SuvDI' SuvwI' ghom tay'nIS chaH}.  We have not used an adverb at all;
>rather, we have reconstructed the phrasing to use a main verb with a relative
>clause.

That works quite well.  When we've wished for more adverbials, I often
qualify it with "...or sentence constructions" meaning constructions that
can be used more or less productively (like -meH and -DI') for decent
adverbial meanings.

That said, and despite the fact that your sentence is really quite good,
I'd still like some support for {?nItebHa'} or a synonymous word.  There
are a few adverbial + -Ha' combos I'd really like to see canonized.

~mark

Back to archive top level