tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 19 01:32:41 1997

Adverbials

While I am anxious to learn new words of any part of speech, I hope SuStel is
right in betting we will soon get more Adverbs.

Meanwhile, how do we express adverbially concepts for which we do not have a
specifically glossed adverb.

Assume we want to say, "A group of warriors must fight together."  We get
{SuvDI' SuvwI' ghom tay'nIS chaH}.  We have not used an adverb at all;
rather, we have reconstructed the phrasing to use a main verb with a relative
clause.

{roD} vs. {motlh}

We have had enough examples of {motlh} and {motlhbe'} to know their
translations are "usually" and "unusually," respectively.  Although we have
had only one example that I have ever seen of {roD},  I suspect it translates
as "normally."  Since the translation given by MO for {roD} was "usually," I
cannot disagree with it.  I was only looking for the difference in feeling
between the two words.  I will need to see MO use {roD} again to get a better
feeling of its true meaning.

Qapla'     tugh wotmey Delbogh mu'mey chu' DISuq 'e' vItul jIH je

peHruS

Back to archive top level