tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 19 17:05:49 1997

RE: KLBC: new words, once and for all

[email protected] on behalf of [email protected] wrote:

> SuStel the good (and patient) adviser

qatlho'.  mumuS Hoch rut 'e' vIQub.

> > But it seems that many beginners in Klingon, especially those who don't
have
> English as their native language, experience the same difficulties : how can
> I express an everyday's life simple fact with tlhingan Hol?

Let me just say that it's a lot easier to speak a foreign language in person
than over the Internet.

> (this
> is a new word I just coined out ; I carefully checked in TKD it *doesn't*
> mean
> anything).

Oh god, the last person who coined a word to show that it doesn't exist ended
up causing the word to exist.  PLEASE don't tell us what it means!  :)

> But KLI is not a sect, nor is Marc Okrand a guru.

Sure seems that way sometimes.  As much as I may disagree with some others on
matters of the language, and as much as it may cause me to appear as if I
resent any other vision of Klingon than my own, I do greatly appreciate
anyone's opinions.  I have no problem with peHruS' belief that verbs can form
compounds, for example, and I harbor no ill-feelings towards him because of
it.  In fact, I look forward to meeting him at qep'a' loSDIch, and I hope he
feels the same way about me.

> Some borderline derived
> words will unavoidably creep in -- I would bet that Klingons have adopted
> some
> Terran words (phonetically Klingonized for sure) as they adopted the decimal
> numeration.

Yeah, there's {nughI'} "give a noogie," though we're not entirely sure which
culture borrowed it from which . . .

> To conclude : I do understand peHruS is getting bored with {chu'law' mu'mey}
> (I mean "so-called new words" -- am I correct ?)

What you said was a complete sentence: "the words seem to be new."  If you
were to use this as a noun phrase, you'd have to say it like this: {mu'meyqoq
chu'}

> but when you're new to a
> language you're bound to creating barbarisms. Did you ever think about the
> symmetric position ? a Klingon coming to Earth (sorry, {Terra'}) and seeing
> us eat with forks ? Which word would he use to describe this odd (to him)
> thing ?

But they DO use forks . . . !

Your point, of course, is perfectly valid.  "I'll try some of your replicated
burned bird meat."

I imagine the following situation.

(A Klingon tourist visits a Terran shop.)

Terran: Hello!  How are you?

Klingon: I want to buy dilithium crystals!  NOW!!!

Terran (shaken): I'm sorry, sir, but you'll have to wait a moment.

Klingon (grabs Terran by collar): I said NOW you fool!

Terran: Please, sir, let go of me or I'll call the police.  (Presses secret
"panic" button below desk.)

Klingon: Coward!!  I'm going to kill you!

Police enter shop, see Klingon attacking Terran.  They shoot him.  The Klingon
dies without honor (for what's honorable about dying while bullying a weakling
Terran?).  What a cultural travesty.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian