tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 19 17:05:49 1997

RE: KLBC: HeghmoH

qej 'ej naS Qov:

> eduardo fonesca writes:
>
> & ghaH HeghmoH QIDvetlh - That wound kills him.
> & (That wound cause him to die)
> &
> & Because the wound doesn't kill, but cause the death.
>
> Ooooh.  SuStel vInIS vIneHbe'mo' Edy vIjangbe' 'ach bong Seng le'
> tu'law' Edy. chovnatlh Daj 'oH <HeghmoH>'e'.  Holna' 'oHbej tlhIngan
> Hol.  pabtaHvIS chu'wI' lumer mu' Huj. DaH Edy mISmoHbe'meH HojnIS
> SuStel.
>
> peQub:
> ghaH HeghmoH ghu'.
> ghaHvaD HeghmoH ghu'.
>
> muj'a' wa'? lugh'a' cha'?
>
> SKI: Edy has followed a rule into a 'fatal' question.  Qov waits to
> see how SuStel gets out of this one.

I certainly wish Qov would make her reason for all of this nastiness plain.

I "get out of this one" by restating that I don't think that {HeghmoH} IS a
qualitative verb.  I think it's just {Hegh} + {-moH}.  In this case, {ghaH
HeghmoH QIDvetlh} is just fine.  Even if {HeghmoH} IS a qualitative verb all
of its own, Edy is still using {Hegh} + {-moH}.

But fine, if you believe that {HeghmoH} is a distinct verb, AND if you believe
that you cannot say {Hegh} + {-moH} for some reason, then you have a point.
Now, so the beginners can understand why (as opposed to being confused by all
of this hostility), let me make an example:

Consider the qualitative verb, {qej} "be grouchy, mean."  I can say {qej
*Qov*} "Qov is grouchy."  This just states things in general, it doesn't say
what Qov is grouchy about or to whom she is grouchy.

If I DO want to specify that she is grouchy to ME, then I indicate this by
showing that {jIH} is the beneficiary, or recipient, of her being grouchy.
This is the noun suffix {-vaD}, on TKD pp.28-29.

jIHvaD qej *Qov*
Qov is grouchy to me.  (Qov is grouchy, and I am the recipient of her
grouchiness.)

Now, because TKD has an entry {HeghmoH} "be fatal," Qov is asking if this is
just as qualitative a verb as {qej} "be grouchy."  If it is, we should be able
to just substitute it in to where we originally had {qej}:

ghaHvaD HeghmoH QID

By this theory, this means "the wound is fatal, and this fatalness is applied
to me."

However, one can also the verb {Hegh} "die," and the verb suffix {-moH}
"cause."  Together, they give us {HeghmoH} "cause to die."  It just so happens
that "cause to die" means exactly the same thing as "be fatal."  Using this
verb and this suffix, we have

ghaH HeghmoH QID

By this theory, this means "the wound causes him to die."

Now, Qov is making all the fuss because I often point to how the English gloss
of a word is used in English, and say that it's probably been written that
particular way to mimic how the Klingon word is used.  She then assumes that I
mean that a word like {HeghmoH} in the dictionary is glossed "be fatal," and
that I will automatically be "pedantic" and assume that {HeghmoH} follows that
exact pattern.  This is not, in fact, what I assume.  I believe that Okrand
included that gloss in there to show how a possibly common useage of the verb
might work.

But to continue: Qov sees the last Klingon sentence above, and says, "Aha!
Since {HeghmoH} is glossed as "be fatal," SuStel is saying 'The wound is fatal
him.'"  However, remember, this would only be the case if {HeghmoH} is a verb
which is entirely different from a similar word, {Hegh}.

Neither Qov nor I have any proof to show that how we see things is definitely
the correct way to do it.  As is always the case, I choose to use and promote
those things which I believe are right, or which I logically or intuitively
infer.  NO ONE IS FORCED TO AGREE WITH ME, including Qov.  I honestly try to
show the various sides of a debate when a beginner hits a snag in the language
(and every one of them do, almost every message), but I'm afraid I'm going to
be biased towards that which I believe is right.  If anyone's got any
specifics they'd like to discuss, I'm all ears.

Or would you have me teach beginners that verb compounds are just fine?

But I hardly think Qov's current attitude is constructive.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level