tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 18 21:05:07 1997

Re: Klingon language copyright, WAS: RE: Thesaurus

ja' HetaQ:
>I've talked with my attorneys about Viacom's claim to copyright on the
>language and they still maintain that it cannot legally be used.  They have
>*not* found any case law to refute that claim (Loglan vs. Lojban did not
>help) and I doubt anyone could afford to take them to court...

I do know that "programming languages" cannot be copyrighted.  Didn't
Lotus try (and fail) to keep Borland from using the Lotus macro language
in its spreadsheet?  If you want to keep open your options, ask your
attorneys to remember to look into computer-related cases.

>We are in the process of asking for licensing but have been advised to stop
>selling "Secret Fighting Arts" for now.

May you reach an equitable solution.

>Which brings me to my last point; although I *will* be attending the qep'a'
>and I will *certainly* be giving a martial arts instruction/demo each
>morning (except Sunday), I will not bring any books to sell.  Sorry, you
>have Viacom to thank for that.

Those of us who *do* have copies of the book will be expecting your
signature in it, I'm sure.  Practice your pIqaD! :-)

>Well, almost my last point ...
>'tlhIngan qa' ngaSbejqu' 'IwwIj
>qa'wIj SeHbe' [Viacom] jay'

Do'Ha' paqlIj SeHlaw'lI'...

>begin 600 WINMAIL.DAT

wejpuH.  jabbI'ID SeHlaw' [Microsoft] jay'.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level