tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 18 00:53:33 1997

Re: Re : RE: KLBC: nominal sentences

In a message dated 97-06-17 19:56:35 EDT, HdW writes:

<< >> many (if not most) Klingon words may be used as verbs or nouns
 jang SuStel :
 > Unless some new evidence comes to light, it's not "most," it's "some."
 [...]
 > English does this a lot more than Klingon does.
 Hmmm. I didn't really count them. But if not even "many", these words are
 quite frequent.  >>

"In Klingon, there are many instances of nouns and verbs being identical in
form...  It is not known if all verbs can be used as nouns, but it is known
that verbs ending in suffixes can never be nouns."

While I agree with SuStel that new evidence needs to come to light, I feel
that the second sentence above implies that "nearly all" verbs, in their stem
form, can be used as nouns.  You know who I am; I am the one prodding the
evidence to reveal itself clearly enough we can all become convinced.
 Although I am biased toward finding examples of MO constructions which are
not "obviously" noun plus noun, I truly am finding an increase of them in
each new publication by MO.

Qapla'

Back to archive top level