tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 12 05:08:00 1997

RE: KLBC: Monopoly translation

[email protected] on behalf of Rikterman wrote:

> As a student of tlhIngan Hol who really enjoys a good game of Monopoly, I
> felt that it was only fitting that the translation of my favorite game be
> my first project.

This has been done before; you might want to check the list archives.

> Granted, when you first look at Terran Monopoly from a
> Klingon's perspective the phrase "verengan Dap!" might come to mind, but
> consider my modifications: dollars become warriors, houses become
> spacecraft, rent and other fees become warriors lost (in battle over
> territories and such), jail becomes Rura Penthe, electric co. becomes
> Praxis, and so on. Comments?

So who's gonna want Praxis?!?

(Actually, I'd like to see someone invent a Ferengi-themed Monopoly game, if
there isn't one already.)

> And of course the following translations...
>
> GO! (collect $200 salary as you pass) = tIj. naDev yIjuSvIS cha'vatlh
> SuvwI'pu' DavI'

"While you pass here" would be {naDev DajuStaHvIS} (or, arguably, {naDev
bIjuStaHvIS}).  When you use {-vIS}, you *must* also use {-taH}.  There's only
one known exception: the proverb in TKW p. 95 (and spoken in Star Trek VI):
{QamvIS Hegh qaq law' torvIS yIn qaq puS} "Better to die on our feet than live
on our knees."

> Chance = San
> Electric Co. = pIraQIS (awaiting official spelling)

I can't find one, though I keep thinking it needs a glottal stop.

> Water Works = ?suggestions?

cha'puj tlhIlHal

> Community Chest = ?suggestions? (most often takes warriors but
> occasionally gives them)

How about {'orghen rojmab chutmey}?  :)

> Go to Jail = bIghHa' yIjaH

This should be {bIghHa'Daq yIjaH}.  So far as I can tell, {jaH} doesn't take
an object.  {ghoS} does, so if you didn't want to use {-Daq} for some reason,
you could say {bIghHa' yIghoS}.

> Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200 =
> bIghHa' yIjaH. bIghHa' yIjaH neH. tIj yIjuSbe'. cha'vatlh SuvwI'pu'
> tIvI'be'.

bIghHa'Daq yIjaH.  bIghHa'Daq neH yIjaH.  (The {neH} has to be after
{bIghHa'Daq}.  If it comes after {yIjaH}, you have just said "Merely go to
jail.")

If {tIj} is supposed to be the name for "Go," then the next part is okay.
However, why not rename "Go" to {Qo'noS}?  It wouldn't be fair to let only one
player "own" Qo'noS.

> The properties around the board would become systems, territories and
> strategic worlds that from the Star Trek universe arranged
> counter-clockwise

Backwards from standard Monopoly?

> from GO from least to most desirable (from a Klingon
> perspective). I had also considered using the four sides of the board to
> divide space into alpha, beta, gamma, delta quadrants but I'm leaning
> away from that idea.

Why?  That's a cool idea!  Alpha: Federation and/or Cardassians, Beta:
Klingons and/or Romulans (are the Romulans supposed to be in Alpha or Beta
Quadrant?), Gamma: Jem Hadar (however that's supposed to be spelled), Delta:
err . . . well . . . I don't want to say Borg . . . ummm . . . Pretend that
the Voyager has gotten back home, with a means of really fast transportation,
shares it with everyone, and the galaxy becomes a very small place.  Then you
can say "Kazon" for the Delta Quadrant.

Instead of Boardwalk, you could have "Borg Homeworld."  Make Free Parking into
"DS9."  And no, you don't put excess warriors on DS9!  The banker becomes the
Admiral of the Black Fleet, since that's where the warriors/bills go when they
die/are spent.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian