tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 09 14:18:41 1997

Re: leSSov/Foresight

>...could also double as a word for precognition...
>
>..which is essentially what "foresight" means. :-)

   Foresight is generally used as a term meaning that with planning,
thought, and concern towards the future - one can make "predict" the logical
consequences.

   Precognition, however, is the so-called ability to just KNOW what will
happen before it happens - usually in the sense of an extra sensory skill.
No brain power there.

   These are two very different meanings. One is logical, one is not.

>By the way, I think {leSSov} is a straightforward noun-noun compound,
>using the noun {Sov} "knowledge", not the verb "know".

   Are noun-noun combos more common? I can't see that it would make much of
a difference in overall meaning one way or the other, but it would be
interesting to get it as close to right as possible.

Back to archive top level